Friday, June 16, 2006

Links Are Up!

Very proud of myself. I have successfully edited the links on the sidebar. All friends of mine who are clever and creative. Except for Avant Game. I just wish she was my friend, but I've never met her. Is there some kind of protocol where I should write and ask permission before adding that link?

Healthy(er) Baking Tip
Tonight I made some cookie dough from a mix. A fan of the baking mix for many years, I have cut back significantly since embracing different diet practices in the wake of my illness. But occasionally I veer from the path, and when I do, I grab the Ghiradelli chocolate chip cookie mix. This is the only mix on the entire shelf that does not contain partially hydrogenated oils. I've read a lot of labels and have not seen another product without them. Even the other Ghiradelli products, like their brownies, contain partially hydrogenated oils.

Trivia: The history behind baking mixes is that when cake mixes originally debuted after WWII, all you had to add was water. They either sold or tested badly--I can't remember which--because the ladies of the house didn't feel they were "doing" enough. So the manufacturers pulled the powdered egg from the mix, and required the homemaker to add a real egg. This was apparently enough to assuage her guilt, and today's pre-made mixes do a rollicking business, if the full aisle of products is any indicator.

Edit 11/10: I have recently seen Krusteaz cookie mixes that also are partially-hydrogenated-oil-free!

No comments:

Post a Comment