Saturday, September 09, 2006

Procrastination

I don't know if I've mentioned that after attending many classes at the beginning of the term, one that made the cut was Old English...not like "good ol' english" but like the English that was spoken back in the 6th through the 11th century. Beowulf is the famous literary peice that was originally written in Old English. Here's a sample (minus a few markings that I can't reproduce on a normal keyboard):

Heo wolde hire maeg wrecan.
This means "She wanted to avenge her kinsman."

As you can see, it bears only the very slightest resemblence to present day English. There are nineteen forms of the word "the" and some insane number of verb forms, and the nouns are also altered according to gender, number, and use--like if the noun is the subject, it will be spelled and pronounced differently than if it is the direct object, indirect object or object of a preposition.

I have so much memorization to do.

So I'm writing this.

Which brings me to an interesting point. Not since highschool algebra have I had a class which so motivates me to do almost anything else before I can settle into the task, which is not to say that I'm not a procrastinator in general, because I am. The bright side of this whole thing, is that because I take many writing classes, often my procrastination involves NOT WRITING. However, I'm finding that when it comes to Old English, often I will procrastinate by WRITING. Thus in the past week, during the time that I have been trying to plow through three chapters of verb forms, I have written a full first draft of a piece for my Article and Essay class.

Now I just need to find the task that is so daunting that I would choose to translate long chapters of Old English text just to avoid it. I guess it's never to late to take Calculus...

No comments:

Post a Comment