Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Because of course I'd remember that

Signed onto my USC user account today for the first time so I could register for orientation. Here were the instructions for choosing a password:

You must now select a secure password for your account. When you choose a password, keep in mind that it should be something you can easily remember but others would be unlikely to guess.

All passwords must conform to the following rules:

* Passwords must be 7 or 8 characters long.

* Each password must contain at least one uppercase letter, at least one lowercase letter, and at least one character that is a number or a special character (e.g. !@^&*()-+).

* A password may not be a word in any language, a combination of words, or a word preceded or followed by a digit or special character.


I know I should be terrified about identity theft, but really, I'm worried about identity loss...The day my computer tanks and I lose my cheat sheet of 6000 slightly different and non-sensical passwords, I'm screwed. (Attention any enterprising computer/identity thieves, the document is password protected with a 35 digit code comprised of only vowels and foreign accent marks, so don't even try it.)

Hmmm...now what can I easily remember that doesn't resemble a word or combination of words, has "special symbols" and one capital letter.

I know!

2Btiou$

Oh, shit, that's actually a word in Klingon.

I'll keep working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment