Sunday, June 10, 2012

Grandeur

When I was young, my dad asked what I was thinking of becoming when I grew up.  I said I wanted to be a librarian.  I liked reading books very much, and thought I'd be good at leading story hour.

My Dad said if I wanted to be a librarian, I should be a librarian on a space station.  This would have been the very early days of the shuttle program, and my dad had a book by a man who predicted we would soon have a space station near the moon.  Space was where it was at, my dad said--I should specialize in something that would be needed--I should be part of the future.

In any case, I should reach for something higher than just being a librarian.  And if the space thing didn't work out,  I should plan to leave our small town, and small thinking behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment