Friday, April 26, 2013

My Project at Amazon Studios Update

Ahhh--haven't seen one of these for a while, have you?  Just a little one--but a happy one.  As some of you know, Amazon has been interviewing writers for the next rewrite of Children of Others for a few months now.  Last week, I heard that they've found someone.  That's exciting for me, because it's the next step, and to get a movie made, you have to keep taking steps.  I've also heard who it is, but I don't think I can say, because I don't know Amazon's plans for announcing or not announcing.  In any case, it's not the kind of  name that you'd immediately recognize.  But I looked up  his/her credits, and found those credits really intriguing. I like that it's someone with experience, but not a huge resume, because I imagine such a person is tempered by experience, but still sees a project like this as relevant to their future.  (I would like it if a project of mine benefited someone's future --as well as my own!)  My producer also mentioned that this person is smart, seems to get the original sensibility of the film but also understands the kind of changes that need to be made for its next incarnation.  So I'm feeling good about all that.
But also, since I am on the topic of Amazon Studios, something has been weighing heavy on my heart, so I am confessing it here.  My Amazon Studios mailbox contains about a dozen requests from folks asking me to read their scripts.  I haven't  opened that inbox for...eons. I haven't read the loglines, or responded in any way.  That's because I hate to say no, even though I know from my own life that nine times our of ten I would prefer  "no" to "no response," and I get frustrated with people who opt for the "no response."  But here I am, in the same boat.
So my goal, once the semester ends, is to  open those emails--one by one, write apologetic emails, and give some response.   Because I work almost full time, go to school almost full time, try to write almost full time, and I have a real-life writer's group and network of people with whom I exchange writing on a regular basis, I know I can't add the reading of more full scripts to my pile, but I'm hopeful that I can do something that might be helpful. Maybe it will be reading 5 or 10 pages in conjunction with the logline, maybe it will be something else. But it will be something.
And since this was an Amazon Studios-themed post, here are a couple of related articles that my Wordpress suggests you read:

No comments:

Post a Comment