Friday, June 28, 2013

A Letter a Week

Dear Person Reading This,
I want to write about the many things I've been reading (at the cost of writing), but since  I'm at work,  I'll be brief(er) and just mention the newest thing I'm going to be reading: Emails from folks like Lena Dunham, Etgar Keret and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar courtesy of film-maker and eclectic artist Miranda July as part of her newest project: We Think Alone.
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar at a book signing.
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar writing you a letter. Not really. It's a book signing.  (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
I will be receiving a letter a week for the next twenty weeks on different topics. (Next week's topic is money.) As I understand it, these won't be custom letters. Instead, Miranda gives the participants the topic, and they have to cull through their mail boxes to look for emails they have already sent to other people that incorporate these topics. So it's like getting to read someone's email, with their permission--and the added bonus that the someone happens to be famous.
If you want to get the emails too, you can sign up here.
Or, if you prefer to get emails that are actually written for you, albeit by somebody who isn't famous, there should be a button on the right-hand side bar of this blog that says something like "follow."  You can sign up to have my personal ruminations, reading recaps and typographical errors sent directly to your inbox, just like a letter. When I write a post, it feels like a letter. I like writing letters. You should only do it it you like getting letters, and think they make a nice break from LinkedIn invites and Living Social deals.
Love,
Barrington
P.S. Here's another article about the project from the Atlantic, and also a free PDF download of an Etgar Keret short story (only three pages).

No comments:

Post a Comment