Tuesday, January 21, 2014

2014 Movies, Part I

or, Get Out While You Can...

I've noticed, and am gratified, that a few of my readers (hi Mom!) have this blog sent to their in-boxes.  That can be really good for following a blogger who is sporadic and not too prolific in her output, which generally does describe me.  But I feel I should warn you that I am having some "thoughts." Thoughts like, I should keep a record of all the movies I see this year. And maybe all the books I read this year. I could do that on my blog!  And maybe, when I have some interesting notes from a class, or little writing exercises..."
There is the possibility, of course, that everything I post will be FASCINATING. And just as distinct a possibility that I will get busy and that little of this will really come to pass, but just in case the first thing doesn't happen and the second thing does, you should know that when you start to cringe when checking your inbox, it's okay to UNSUBSCRIBE  I'm not actually sure how to do that, but I'll figure it out and write the directions in a post. I just wanted to let you know it might come to that, and say that I won't be offended...
That being said, I am off to a late start on this movie thing, I think I've probably already forgotten a film or two since the first of the year, but the ones I remember are:
HUNGER GAMES, CATCHING FIRE: Enjoyable.  Paul asked an interesting question after, which is, could it stand alone as a film if you hadn't seen (or read) the first installment?  (Screenplay written by Simon Beaufoy, who wrote (among other things) SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE, and Michael Arndt, who wrote (among other things) LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE.)
HER: Awesome. Really lovely. Written by Spike Jonze, who also directed. This is the first screenplay he's written that I love, but it feels in kinship with two Charlie Kaufman written movies that he directed and that I really like: ADAPTATION and BEING JOHN MALKOVICH.
In the Mood for Love
In the Mood for Love
IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE: Beautiful. Written and directed by Wong Kar Wai, whose work I hear referenced, but don't really know.
FALLEN ANGELS: Also Wong Kar Wai.  I'm only half way through it.
GLORIA: Just saw this yesterday as part of the Film Independent screening series for their Spirit Awards. From Chile, about an older woman who is a mother and a grandmother, who has been divorced for a decade, who works during the day and at night goes dancing at clubs and occasionally picks up a man.  She meets an older gentleman who seems to have potential, but then doesn't.  She does some other stuff too. It's a little meander-y by conventional movie standards, but I liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment