Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Things I FEAR

This week’s synchronized blog topic, suggested by Mya, is “Fear.” For other thoughts on the subject, check out, Susie, Katie and …and if you would like to write about this topic, send a comment, and I’ll mention you in a post!

My eighth grade biology teacher once told us that if you are scared of being bitten by a snake, the best cure is to get bitten by a snake. That wouldn't work with a Black Mamba, but I think his point was that in our part of the country, if you got bit by the common variety garden snake, the reality would be less painful than the imagined experience.

I have (and do) entertained a lot of fears in my life that were purely imagined scenarios, and some that were pretty real. Often, I think that fear as a catalyst for action can be an excellent thing—fear of pain, I’m sure has contributed to the survival of our species. I’ve also noted that that when my fear diminishes my performance quality of certain tasks does as well.

This week, in this post and others, I’ll be introducing a few of my fears, past and present, and their resultant behavior changes, if any.

1) Back in the 90’s, when I had 20/600 vision, and couldn’t see a clock on the wall, much less its hands, I used to fear that one day I would be on a ship like the Titanic. If it sank, I figured I would use Jack and Rose’s plan to climb to the highest point and jump off at the last minute before it went under. After it was explained to me that some people believe that such a big displacement of water would actually cause a vacuum, or a huge “suck” that would probably take surrounding people and objects down with it, I began to fear that even if I could kick my way back up to the surface that the suck would suck my contact lenses right out of my eyes, and I wouldn't be able to see shit, especially essential shit like pieces of floaty wood, helpful people, or life preservers.

Related to this fear, I also feared that there would be an earthquake (I lived in L.A.) that would send my glasses flying from the nightstand, and in all the trembling clutter I would be unable to find them. I would go running outside as I had been told to do, but unable to see where I was going, would end up in the street where I would be hit by a rolling car.

I also had a kidnapping scenario. But it was probably too dark for this blog.

Result: In 1996 I had Lasik, and it is soooo cool. I can wake up in the morning and see things. I believe it’s one of the best things I’ve ever done. Some people are scared of Lasik, and I wasn’t crazy about the notion, but I also hated being blind and vulnerable. So the greater fear won out...to my benefit.

No comments:

Post a Comment