Thursday, May 15, 2008

California Gets it Right!

Thanks to my friend and fellow blogger V, who posted this article to her blog: State Supreme Court says same-sex couples have right to marry

This is news that makes me happy and even a little proud (as if I had anything to do with it) that I will soon once again be calling myself a Californian!

It is also news I would not have know about for another week, as in the throes of thesis woes I have completely quit following world events except for reading Newsweek. I just found out about the aid debacle in Burma yesterday when the magazine arrived in my mailbox. In these final weeks of my thesis I don't even click on any links on the MSN homepage. Part of me feels guilty about being such a non-participant in world events, but the other part of me can't help but notice it makes very little difference to anyone in Burma or the Obama campaign if I don't have the up-to-the-minute scoop. The biggest difference is just that I look dumb and uninformed which is a) arguably just an ego thing anyway; and b) kind of irrelevant since I can't go out or talk to anyone until I've finished this $%*&*$* thesis anyway.

Another item that arrived in my mailbox (can you tell how media deplete my life is right now), is the latest don't-you-want-to-renew-your-subscription-? letter from Poets and Writers. On the outside of the envelope it says, in a pretty calligraphic font, "My head says give up...but my heart says no..."

It literally made me laugh out loud as I thought...wow, am I really the target audience for this, the unrecognized writer who perseveres in the face of rejection to submit to every publication and contest provided to her in Poets and Writers?

And then I thought, oh...maybe that's the publisher talking about how his/her heart says no, they won't give up on me yet, they'll send just one more reminder letter.

Either way, it makes me cringe a little.

Back to the grind...

But way to go Cali with that respecting human rights thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment